I was unfamiliar with pattypan squash before it found its way into our farm share. It's a neat looking veggie, and you don't have to peel it before eating! This makes a pretty appetizer, or can be served as a side dish.
4 pattypan squash
8 basil leaves
shredded hard cheese (Parmesan or asiago work nicely)
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Cut off stem & bottom so the squash sits flat. Cut squash in half horizontally.
2. Brush cut ends of squash with olive oil.
3. If Grilling: Place cut sides on grill. Grill until soft, then flip over. Place a basil leaf on each squash, then sprinkle with shredded cheese. Close grill and cook until cheese is melted.
4. If Baking: Place one basil leaf on each squash half. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until cheese gets lightly browned.
5. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt & pepper.