Monday, 3 December 2007
These are traditional English food. Basically it's a way to use up leftover cabbage & potatoes. Though you may think that after eating a bunch of cabbage, the name "bubble and squeak" might refer to your stomach, it really refers to the cooking process: boiling water (bubble) & frying (squeak).
1 head cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic
salt & pepper
mixed herbs (whatever you have on hand)
oil for frying
1. Wash potatoes, chop into big chunks and boil to soften.
2. While potatoes are boiling, blanch shredded cabbage & diced carrots for 3 minutes in boiling water.
2. Fry diced onion and chopped garlic in butter.
3. Mash potatoes, add fried onions & garlic, cabbage, carrots.
4. Add 1 egg, slightly beaten.
5. Season with salt & pepper and mixed herbs.
6. Form into patties, about hamburger size, 1 inch thick. Dredge in flour to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour (optional).
7. Fry in oil, about 3-4 minutes each side.